Wednesday 2 March 2011

FMP week 1

this week I started generating some ideas for my piece titled 'kinetic whistles.'  Originally i wanted to make my own metal cylinders from sheets of metal but now I think I like the idea of found objects that are already in the shape i need. 
for example, richard from the metal workshops mentioned trumpets.  i'm going to go to a scrap yard hopefully within the week to see if i can find some objects to work with.  i'll also ask if they have any working DC motors.  john clayman really helped me out with developing a way to spin the cylinders.  I have no engineer experience so i really didn't know what to do, so i'm grateful he was able to help so much.  i may just end up using power drills again... i asked steph wilson for some advice and she said the contrast between the sleek and shiny cylinders and the mechanical power drills would complement each other.   she also said having the motors visible is a plus.  My idea was to hide them under a base but now i'm thinking i might enjoy the way you can see the powerdrill(s). 
I feel very positive about this all and I don't feel i'm in a rut which is good.  Usually with assignments that last as long as this fmp, i tend to either put it off and/or get scared because i don't know how to start, but the advice i've had has made a huge difference and i feel confident now to continue my work. my goal this week is to go to some scrap yards and maybe some shops that are savvy with motors and engines to find cylindrical objects and get further advice on how i should go about the mechanics for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment